Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Meditating Together

Last week I didn't do well in terms of quantity of meditation, although quality was good. Is there merit in being 'religious' about our quiet times? Perhaps. But on the other hand, if it becomes rote...

But that's something to be debated either way. (Maybe the point about it becoming rote is another excuse for someone less disciplined, as I am, to justify a habit that occurs less than daily). As I say, last week I didn't get into my quiet space very often. But a few days ago, my 'spiritual sisters' and I (three of us) spent the day together, meditating on a poem one of them brought along.

Which brings up another point. It's wonderful to meditate on scripture. But sometimes we encounter poetry or writings of Christian leaders (spiritual classics) that merit a look, turning over, peering inside. Such was the case with this poem. And to be honest, the first time I heard it, nothing happened. I had to hear it three times for some of its meaning to sink in. I heard it first as written - third person, male. The second time, the next sister read it in third person female. And finally, I read it in first person singular. Each rendering, each different voice yielding distinctive insights.

Most of the time, we consider meditation to be personal; but there's value in sharing our time of meditation now and again. Being quiet together, reading, praying, journaling, then sharing what the Spirit brings to our attention. When my SS's came, we lit my Trinity candle, settled into some comfy chairs with our coffee/tea, lit the fireplace and enjoyed deep (and sometimes light) conversation together as we gained some new insights into a poem (Having Confessed by Patrick Kavanagh) on a difficult topic. (When is confession easy?) We continued our fellowship over lunch, catching up with how God is working in the centre and periphery of each of our lives. I'm also involved in a group where we meet together to meditate and share over 90 minutes in an evening every few weeks.



So time alone with God is good, but I'm also reminded that just as I am refreshed by the Divine (Trinitarian) community, refreshment also comes in the richness of God's human community. Even in something as personal as meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment